It can be hard to know if your avocado is ready to eat, and sometimes we’re left with over-ripened options and aren’t sure what to do with them. Considering how expensive this fruit is, it’s important to have a back-up plan for when things go south.
This chocolate-avocado pudding is a tasty solution. Instead of tossing out your bruised and brown avos, whip them into a creamy (dairy-free) chocolate avocado pudding. You’ll blend two of our favorite ingredients—avocado and chocolate—into a melt-in-your-mouth puree, and top it with your choice of strawberries, hazelnuts, or olive oil.
With this recipe on hand, you won’t have to toss your imperfect avos. And feel free to customize it depending on if you’re feeling salty or sweet. Here’s to reducing our food waste and saving some money.
- 2 bruised avocados, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup agave, or more to taste (preferably organic blue agave)
- 3 tablespoons high quality cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Sliced strawberries, toasted and chopped pistachios or hazelnuts, and extra-virgin olive oil for serving (optional)
- In a blender, combine first four ingredients until smooth. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the blender and repeat.
- Taste and add a little more agave if you’d like it sweeter. Transfer to the refrigerator and chill for 2 to 3 hours.
- To serve, scoop the chilled pudding into serving bowls or cups. If you like, top with strawberries, toasted pistachios or hazelnuts, and olive oil.