Nothing can ruin a cool summers night like a brigade of mosquitoes or bugs swarming around you. The loud buzzing in your ear and the constant, dull pricking of your skin is a recipe for disaster. Any number of these annoying pests can really put a damper to any fun that is being had. And the worst part? No one is immune. Mosquitoes will attack anyone that has blood running through their veins.
There is hope however. Though mosquitoes cannot be eliminated, they can be prevented. There are many natural products that you can use to keep buggy pests at bay. Natural repellents are easy to make, and are a lot better for the environment than other remedies that are full of harsh chemicals.
Make your own summer bug repellent!
Here is a fairly simple concoction to help relieve you of a mosquito attack. Its natural, beautiful, and it smells amazing! If you didn’t know any better, you’d never even know it was successful bug repellent. This mason jar candle repellent uses a combination of essential oils, fresh herbs, and citrus fruit to pack a power punch against mosquitoes.
These ingredients are known to irritate bugs and they won’t come in a close proximity if they smell it. Try it out, and see how you’ll become the envy of the block with a mosquito free yard.
Mason Jar Luminaries
- 4 Mason Jars (you can also recycle some of your jam or other glass jars for this project)
- Combination essential oils like lemon, eucalyptus, thyme, thieves, geranium, lavender, catnip, citronella, cedarwood, or basil to name a few. Use any combination of these oils that you would like. A great smelling combination of oils is cedarwood, lavender, lemon eucalyptus, and thieves. Whatever you decided to combine, use 10 drops of each oil per jar.
- 2 fresh lemons
- 2 fresh limes
- 8 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- Floating tea light candles.
The assembly for these is incredibly easy! The best way to do it is to line up 4 mason jars and follow the directions below
- Slice the lemon and limes and set aside for a moment. You may only use one of each, but have two available just in case.
- Place two springs of rosemary in each jar
- Fill each jar 3/4 full with water
- Add in your essential oil combination of choice, 10 drops each per jar, and swirl the contents gently.
- Put a slice or two of both the lemon and lime in each jar
- If the jar is still not full, add more water to raise the level
- Set a floating tea light candle on the top
- Place your jar outside, light your candle, and witness the magical mosquito repellent take action.
- The tea lights will need to be replaced after a few uses.
- The fruit and the liquid in the jars will also need to be discarded and replaced after about 2 or 3 days. Rinse the jars out and start again from scratch with fresh fruit and herbs
Experience the calm of a cool summer night, without pesky mosquitoes buzzing in your ear, by making this naturally scented candle. Once you light it, you’ll wonder how you ever spent time outside without it. It is an easy, natural, and cheap way to remove mosquitoes from your yard.