Who has coconut oil in their kitchen? I sure do! Coconut oil has become increasingly popular over the last several years due to its healing properties. It’s an antiviral, antibacterial & anti-inflammatory. And it’s raging the health scene because it has a high smoke point which makes it ideal for cooking.
You may have heard that coconut oil is really good for you, but do you know exactly how good for you, and in what ways? To this day, there have been over 1,500 studies done that prove coconut oil to be one of the healthiest foods on our planet (1). The following are 30 scientifically proven ways that coconut oil can change your life for the better!
Scientifically proven and evidenced based uses for coconut oil
Body and Skincare
1. Skin hydration (2). Coconut oil has been proven to be better at hydrating skin then most other lotions or oils.
2. Wrinkle prevention/elimination (2). Coconut oil has been proven to help delay the process of aging in or facial wrinkles.
3. Protects hair against sun damage (2). It also helps control frizz.
4. Hair growth booster (2). It also prevents hair breakage.
5. Alternative to shaving cream (2). It prevents razor burn and soothes the skin, leaving a long-lasting fresh scent.
6. Deodorant (2). When boiled with shea butter, beeswax, and a few other ingredients, coconut oil makes for a natural deodorant.
7. Body scrub base (2). Add some rough brown sugar or Epsom salts and it’s perfect for an exfoliator!
8. Massage oil (2). Rich in antioxidants and nutrients, coconut oil works wonders for your muscles and skin.
9. Lubricant (2). Coconut oil is the perfect lubricant for your sex needs when you don’t want to run up to the store.
10. Tattoo moisturizer (2). Fresh ink needs to be kept moist so that it can heal properly and reduce fading.
11. Heals cuts (2). Coconut oil is known for accelerating the healing process.
12. Promotes weight loss (3). Scientists have known about coconut’s ability to help blast fat for decades, but it also helps by replacing old fats with better fats, turbo-boosting your weight loss.
13. Reinforces immune system health (2). Since it’s filled with so many nutrients, coconut oil helps your body resists illness and infections.
14. Relieves digestion (4). Coconut oil helps relieve constipation and indigestion.
15. Regulates cholesterol levels (2). It also helps keep you safe from cardiovascular issues.
16. Soothes sunburn (2). It helps hydrate your skin, especially after sunburn.
17. Relieves toothaches (2). Coconut oil helps kill bacteria, which in turn helps soothe toothaches.
18. Curbs appetite (3). Scientists suspect that coconut oil’s interesting effect on hunger may be related to the way the fatty acids in it are metabolized.
Cooking and Baking
19. Cooking or baking oil (2). It can withstand high temperatures and it’s better for you than many other fats. Why not use it in the kitchen?
20. Coffee creamer (2). It creates a delicious, smooth texture! An added bonus for those who are lactose intolerant!
21. Smoothie ingredient (2). Like its effects on coffee, coconut oil gives smoothies a nice, creamy texture and adds in a lot of nutrients.
22. Mayonnaise (2). It’s common knowledge that mayo isn’t that good for you, so why not try mixing up some coconut oil sauces for a healthier option?
23. Nipple cream (2). Coconut oil can help soothe any skin irritation from nursing.
24. Soothes diaper rash (2). Coconut oil can help soothe any skin irritation from diapers.
25. Baby skin hydrator (2). Coconut oil not only helps hydrate your skin, but it can help soothe your baby’s! You’ll see a lot of different baby lotions in the store, but why not go with something natural with no chemicals?
26. Leather cleaner (2). If you’re eager for your leather to be soft and shiny again, try a little bit of coconut oil!
27. Wood polish (2). Instead of using some expensive cleaners that leave your house smelling like chemicals, try some coconut oil to give your wood a glossy look and feel.
28. Gum removal (2). Rubbing coconut oil on shoes, carpets, chairs, etc. can help remove the sticky mess.
29. Remove a ring that’s too small (2). If you have a ring that’s stuck on your finger, coconut oil can be used to slide it right off.
30. Rust removal (2). Putting a thin layer of coconut oil on a rusty spot, leaving it for a couple of hours, and then either wiping it with a rack or rinsing it with water can help remove rusty surfaces.
Obviously coconut oil is the “jack of all trades” when it comes to a natural ingredient. Just make sure you store it in a cool place so that it remains solid until you need to use it. People from countries all over the globe use coconut oil for a multitude of uses on a daily basis.